Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 19/9 - UNKLE have announced a forthcoming NFT collaboration with W&N Studio and the Evening Standard Magazine for London Fashion Week. See the announcement on these Instagram posts: 1, 2, 3.
- 19/9 - On the 14th, UNKLE released a Psyence Fiction sweatshirt and hoodie which are available from their store now. You can read the announcement email here.
- 19/9 - UNKLE's reconstruction of Future Utopia's Nature or Nurture? / Am I Built Like This? is out now. Find your streaming service here. The remix EP features two versions of the UNKLE Reconstruction and the original.
- 3/9 - UNKLE's new Psyence Fiction t-shirts is available from their store now. 3/4 sold out almost immediately.
- 3/9 - The latest episode James Lavelle's Living In My Headphones aired last week and is now available to Listen back to it here on Mixcloud.
- 28/8 - UNKLE's Original Headz newsletter for August has been sent out. You can read it here. To celebrate the 23rd anniversary of the release of Psyence Fiction, UNKLE announced a Psyence Fiction merch drop is coming on Tuesday. James Lavelle also revealed a previously unseen UNKLE Pointman visual. Read the newsletter for more details.
- 28/8 - UNKLE have released another collection of remixes. Sick Lullaby (Polymod Remix) is available now as a vocal and instrumental on Bandcamp, or your favourite digital service.
- 21/8 - Two new Studio:AR.Mour X UNKLE t-shirts are now available in Japan. They can be purchased from their store. The t-shirts are ￥8,800(Tax Included).
- 18/8 - UNKLE have released an EP of new remixes, Catch Me When I Fall (Abel Ray Remixes). It's available on Bandcamp now.
- 18/8 - Last week UNKLE also released Catch Me When I Fall (Rōnin Edit) and Catch Me When I Fall (Rōnin Vocal Mix). The two new mixes are both available on streaming services.
- 15/8 - Two new t-shirts have been released on the UNKLE store for the UNKLE X NANA collaboration with South Korean graffiti artist NANA. These were released to celebrate Beyond The Road art show in South Korea. See James Lavelle's statement here.
- 11/8 - James Lavelle is interviewed on episode 13 of the For Your Ears Only podcast where he discusses how he almost scored the latest James Bond film, and picks some of his favourite music. Listen on Spotify now.
- 11/8 - UNKLE have remixed a song from The Future Utopia's latest album. A new album of remixes titled 12 Questions After Dark will be released September 10.
- 10/8 - The latest episode James Lavelle's Living In My Headphones aired last week and is now available to Listen back to it here on Mixcloud.
- 6/8 - The Studio:AR.Mour t-shirts are now available in Japan. The new clothing label from James Lavelle and Kuzuki Kuraishi has launched a website, and Instagram, and people overseas can make a purchase from their store. The t-shirts are ￥6,600(Tax Included).
- 1/8 - James Lavelle will DJ at the Laces Out 2021 after party on Saturday 7th August. He will also be in conversation as previously announced here. The afterparty details were announced on Twitter today.
- 30/7 - UNKLE's Original Headz newsletter for July has been sent out. You can read it here. Announced are 'Catch Me When I Fall (Rōnin Vocal mix)' coming August 6th, and then on 18th August three remixes of 'Catch Me' by producer Abel Ray. Also announced is AR.Mour, a new "multidisciplinary lifestyle brand for creative outsiders", from James Lavelle and Kuzuki Kuraishi. Their first release is coming to Japan this weekend. Finally, James Lavelle talks about Massive Attack's Blue Lines album.
- 30/7 - Giant Step have shared a live set by James Lavelle from 1993. Listen here on Mixcloud and read more about the event on our page: 23 Jul 1993.
- 29/7 - Diplo has remixed UNKLE's Do Yourself Some Good. Listen here or directly from UNKLE's Bandcamp.
- 25/7 - James Lavelle and Gilles Peterson will be DJing a special That's How It Is set on August 19 for We Out Here festival. James made the announcement via UNKLE's Twitter. Further details to be announced on the festivals website.
- 23/7 - James Lavelle will be in conversation as part of Laces Out 2021 on Saturday 7th August. Check the announcement here. More details are apparently to come.
- 23/7 - James Lavelle has included an artwork in the One Of A Kind fundraising auction. It's on now. See his artwork 'Pure Ecstasy' here.
- 14/7 - James Lavelle has also created a mix or The Crosstown Mix Show. Listen on Soundcloud, Mixcloud or Apple Podcasts.
- 6/7 - UNKLE have made "a special Rōnin Off-White turntablist mix" for Virgil Abloh’s Off-White show. Read more about the show on Vogue, and watch the show and hear the mix on YouTube.
- James Lavelle's Beyond The Road exhibition is touring Korea. Details at the official Instagram.
- 3/7 - UNKLE have remixed Krust's Hegel Dialect and it is available on streaming now. Listen on YouTube here. The remix will also feature on a vinyl EP available July 23. Details for the EP are here.
- 26/6 - UNKLE's Original Headz newsletter for June has been sent out. You can read it here. New t-shirts have been released featuring the Mo' Wax logo, and James discussed hearing the first DJ Shadow songs for Mo' Wax, among a few other tidbits.
- 25/6 - On Instagram, UNKLE have announced a new Mo' Wax t-shirt will be released soon. Mailing list subscribers will be first to know.
- 24/6 - As part of Terry Hall presents Home Sessions UNKLE will perform. James Lavelle wrote on Instagram, "Myself and Steven Weston will be performing a brand new Rōnin AV show, with the amazing backdrop of Coventry Cathedral at midnight on the evening of Friday 30th July. General bookings open 10am on Friday 25 June." More information is available here.
- 10/6 - The latest episode James Lavelle's Living In My Headphones was on last night. Listen back to it here on Mixcloud.
- 7/6 - James Lavelle has posted on UNKLE's Instagram that he is recording in Tuscany. See the post here.
- 30/5 - The fifth Original Headz newsletter was sent out yesterday announcing James Lavelle is in Italy working on a soundtrack with Planet Funk. Stock of the Redux reissue is also shipping out now after some delay. Rōnin 2 is now mixed and further remixes are being commissioned, similar to the recently released Lost Souls remixes. Finally, the newsletter lists the three Record Store Day releases UNKLE is featured on, the UNKLE Reconstruction of Texas and Wu Tang Clan's 'HI', the UNKLE Reconstruction of 'Falling Spikes' on Japanese Television's 3 (Remixed), and Still Life's remix of UNKLE's Heaven on Stella Polaris Music. See the Record Store Day website for details on each release.
- 27/5 - Lost Souls of Saturn have remixed UNKLE's Do Yourself Some Good. There are two remixes which are available on the UNKLE Bandcamp page.
- 13/5 - The latest episode James Lavelle's Living In My Headphones was on last night. Listen back to it here on Mixcloud.
- 8/5 - Yesterday UNKLE released the Do Yourself Some Good (Demi Riquísimo Remix). Listen on Bandcamp.
- 8/5 - UNKLE also announced on Facebook more Rōnin Merchandise, now featuring new t-shirts, hoodies, tote bags, and drink bottles. But them here.
- 8/5 - Regarding the previous drop of Rōnin Merchandise, UNKLE sent an email with the following update: "Meanwhile the team has been busy sourcing the plain shirts for merch drop 1 and they are just about to start printing, so if you ordered from that drop, you can expect your orders to ship in the next few weeks."
- 4/5 - DJ Shadow discusses working on UNKLE's Rabbit In Your Headlights in todays The New Cue, a newsletter started by some ex-Q Magazine staff. Read it here.
- 1/5 - The fourth Original Headz newsletter was sent out yesterday announcing new merch coming soon, James Lavelle is in the studio working on new music, UNKLE have a newly designed website, and two new remixes of Do Yourself Some Good are coming soon, with the first by Demi Requismo arriving on May 7th.
- 25/4 - All of the Rōnin Merchandise is now sold out. No shipping date was listed for the t-shirt pre-orders, but the Rōnin store does note that all vinyl will be shipped in August due to delays at the pressing plants.
- 22/4 - UNKLE have announced on their Instagram story that new merch will be dropping at 5PM Friday and fans should sign up to the UNKLE mailing list to be first to find out.
- 15/4 - The latest episode James Lavelle's Living In My Headphones was on last night. Listen back to it here on Mixcloud.
- 13/4 - An interview from 2014 with James Lavelle has recently been uploaded by Byronesque. Take a look here as he recalls seeing Soul II Soul and the early sound system days. There's also two video directed by Justin Westover featuring music from Never Never Land. The videos were first uploaded to Vimeo 7 years ago.
- 10/4 - UNKLE have sent out an email announcing everyone who orders a copy of Rōnin I from the UNKLE official store before 30 April 2021 will be entered into a draw to win test pressings and merchandise. Winners will be notified one week after the closing date, and customers who previously made orders have been automatically entered into the draw. Read the email here.
- 8/4 - James Lavelle has scored the soundtrack to a short film titled AD2021 for furniture designers Clarke and Reilly. Watch the film and read more details on Another Mag.
- 8/4 - A remix of an UNKLE song appears on a new compilation by Stella Polaris Music. The compilation will be released for Record Store Day. Details here.
- 8/4 - Also from Record Store Day, UNKLE have remixed Texas featuring Wu Tang Clan. Details here.
- 2/4 - More information has been shared about the Kickstarter rewards: They are all pre-psyence fiction album demos, done after James came back from LA, when he was working with Tim Goldsworthy. The vinyl came from a DAT marked 'UNKLE 1 Rough Mix', the cassette is a facsimile of the session DAT from Milo studios. Lonely Soul also came out of that session at Milo, as Josh was there working on that. So the titles are literally just what they were recorded as on those DATs - Vinyl: UNKLE 1 Rough Mix - Cassette: ‘Untitled One’ and ‘Untitled Two’
- 2/4 - The Ronin listening party on Twitter from earlier this week can be relived here.
- 29/3 - James Lavelle has been interviewed by Clash Magazine. He talks about this years Rōnin mixtapes, The Road Part 3, the That's How It Is mixes he did in 2020, and sorting through the UNKLE archives. Read the whole thing here.
- 29/3 - James Lavelle spoke to NME about the new UNKLE mixtape, part 2, and a potential UNKLE Greatest Hits album. Read it here.
- 29/3 - Listen back to James Lavelle on Mary Anne Hobbs' show on BBC Radio.
- 29/3 - South have posted a short documentary on the recording of their album From Here On In which was produced with James Lavelle and released on Mo' Wax. Watch it on YouTube.
- 27/3 - Fans have begun receiving the Kickstarter rewards. They are a 7" record and cassette tape featuring demos from 1996, and a t-shirt. No track listing was given for the cassette or record.
- 27/3 - The third Original Headz newsletter was sent out yesterday.
- 26/3 - Rōnin I is out now.
- 26/3 - James Lavelle will be the guest on Mary Anne Hobbs show at 12PM London Time today on BBC 6.
- 18/3 - UNKLE's 'If We Don't Make It' is available to stream now.
- 18/3 - There will be a listening party for the new Ronin mixtape on March 30. Details on Twitter.
- 17/3 - UNKLE's Facebook page has announced they are hand stamping the Kickstarter 7" vinyl now.
- 17/3 - James Lavelle's Living In My Headphones will return on March 17th to Soho Radio. Listen here. The UNKLE instagram story has promised "new material" will be played.
- 17/3 - South have posted Polaroids from the recording of their debut album on Mo' Wax. The photos feature James Lavelle and Rich File along with the rest of the band. A short documentary is also promised to be coming soon. Take a look at the post here.
- 16/3 - Bape have announced a new collaboration with UNKLE featuring shoes, jackets, hoodies, and t-shirts. See the announcement on the Bape Japan Instagram page here and our page dedicated to BAPE VS UNKLE/MO WAX - Original Headz. Everything will be available from March 20th.
- 16/3 - UNKLE have sent out a new email announcing the new Ronin I mixtape will go on sale first to subscribers of the email newsletter, with the store opening Tuesday 16th March at 5pm GMT. The release will feature a new single 'If We Don't Make It', and will be available as Test Pressing - £65, Double Clear Vinyl - £29.99, Double Orange Vinyl - £29.99, White and Orange splatter Double Vinyl - £35.99, Single CD - £11.99, Limited Edition Double CD (second CD is unmixed) - £16.99, Cassette White - £9.99, Cassette Orange - £9.99. Copies are limited, with the test pressing limited to 20 copies, other vinyl limited to 1000, CDs limited to 2000, and cassettes limited to 150 copies each. Some editions come with booklets, info sheets, and stickers.
- 6/3 - Liela Moss has released a video titled ZoomAge Daydream with James Lavelle. They discuss the lockdown and remixing among other things. You can watch the video on YouTube now.
- 27/2 - Part two of the Arkhive Sale is on now with more t-shirts and prints from UNKLE's archive made available. See the collection here.
- 27/2 - A second Original Headz newsletter was sent out announcing James Lavelle is currently finishing part two of the Rōnin mixtape, and that Living In My Headphones will return on March 17th to Soho Radio. The Soho Radio website previously listed the show appearing on February 17, but it appears this was in error.
- 23/2 - Japanese Television's FALLING SPIKES (UNKLE RECONSTRUCTION) is out now. The UNKLE remix is from Japanese Television's new EP III (Remixed) which will be released 19th March 2021.
- 15/2 - UNKLE's remix of Leila Moss' Atoms At Me will be out on February 17th.
- 15/2 - James Lavelle discussed the new UNKLE song on Shaun Keaveny's show on BBC last week. Listen back here. James starts around 1 hour and 48 minutes in.
- 13/2 - South's debut album From Here On In, and the b-side album From Here On Out, are being re-released on vinyl, limited to 500 pressings. James Lavelle and Rich File contributed to the album which was originally released in 2001. Due for release on March 26th, you can preorder them now via Club AC30: From Here On In, From Here On Out.
- 12/2 - UNKLE's new single Do Yourself Some Good has been written about by Clash, NME, and other publications. The articles all use the same press release as their source quoting James Lavelle who says the new Rōnin mixtape was originally began life as preparation for a live show, but covid meant that it has been reimagined as a mixtape. 'Rōnin I' which will be released on March 26th.
- 11/2 - UNKLE have released Do Yourself Some Good (Ronin Throwdown). The new song was premiered on BBC 6 where James Lavelle gave a short introduction. The song will appear on the mixtape 'Rōnin I' which will be released on March 26th by Studio:UNKLE. Alongside the Ronin Throwdown there is also a shorter Ronin Edit. Both songs are available on all streaming services and can be purchased from Bandcamp.
- 11/2 - James Lavelle will return to Soho Radio with his show Living In My Headphones next week, Wednesday 17th.
- 9/2 - UNKLE are teasing something as arriving on Wednesday, Feb 10.
- 30/1 - UNKLE have started the sale on their website, with many items selling out quickly. The sale includes vinyl and clothing such as Ar.Mour Hoodies, The Road t-shirts, The Fourness t-shirts, a Mo' Wax logo glitter print, Daydreaming brochure and tote bag, and the Contents Under Pressure booklet. Take a look on the UNKLE store.
- 30/1 - UNKLE released the first volume of their newsletter, Original Headz Vol 1, Issue 1, where James Lavelle has promised "the next 12 months looks to be a productive year." Two remixes (Leila Moss' Atoms At Me and Japanese Television's Falling Spikes) and a new UNKLE single are releasing soon, with more content arriving across the year including "new remixes from The Road, and a series of new UNKLE records, starting with two Ronin mixtapes." A new website is coming soon while new merch is also promised. You can read a copy and pasted version on our Original Headz page.
- 25/1 - UNKLE have announced an "UNKLE ARKHIVE SALE". Fans who sign up to their newsletter / mailing list will get a first look. Sign up here.
- 22/1 - UNKLE have a new website and are inviting fans to sign up to their newsletter to get the latest UNKLE news. Sign up here. They also announced their new logo is by Gio Estevez, who previously designed the Nike X Mo’ Wax Build and Destroy Collection. The logo itself was created in 1994 and features on an untitled painting. James Lavelle previously described Gio Estevez as a "long time friend and artist Gio Estevez, one of the original members of the Supreme skate team... I met Gio when I was 22, after seeing his paintings in Supreme and we instantly became best mates. At Mo’Wax he created the text for the UNKLE “Berry Meditation” single, a couple of Christmas cards, and a toy that never came out. His writing style is amazing and brings that illustrative angle. There’s a history there and yet he’s also a contemporary of mine now.".
- 21/1 - James Lavelle has been interviewed for “Not In Paris 2”, a series by HIGHSNOBIETY. Read it here, and see some of the accompanying photos and video on the UNKLE Instagram.
- 15/1 - UNKLE have remixed Japanes Television from the EP III. Falling Spikes - UNKLE Reconstruction is part of EP III Remixed, available to pre-order now and will be released March 18, 2021.
- 8/1 - Exodus Revisited is out now streaming digitally. There are three versions, Extended, Edited, and Alternative.
- 4/1 - UNKLE have posted on Instagram that they are back in the studio and that the Ronin mix teased last year is coming soon.
- 4/1 - UNKLE also posted a list rounding up what they did in 2020. See that here.