Welcome to the Unkle Wiki
This is an unofficial wiki relating to Unkle, James Lavelle and Mo'Wax
The primary emphasis of this site is to create a gigography collecting reviews, photos, posters etc. for every Unkle gig. But it can be more. It would be amazing to expand to all Mo'Wax artists, but that is up to you.
Recent / Upcoming Events
- Feb 29 - James Lavelle DJing at Ravenswood for Eat or Heat, London. Details here.
- May 23 - James Lavelle will take part in a live listening of UNKLE's War Stories album with Tim Burgess on Twitter. Previously announced here on Twitter. The date has been confirmed on his website.
- Aug 2020 (CANCELLED) - We Out Here festival, That's How It Is special with James Lavelle, Gilles Peterson & guests. Details here. Read about the cancellation here.
Recent / Upcoming Releases
- June 3rd 2020 - War Stories Instruments (re-released)
- Summer 2020 - Psyence Fiction Director's Cut (TBC)
- 4/6 - The latest episode of James Lavelle's Living In My Headphones is now on Mixcloud. Listen here.
- 4/6 - UNKLE have announced the War Stories Instrumentals will be released on vinyl in a special edition. "These will go on sale at 5pm BST on Monday 8th June, alongside an exclusive capsule collection of limited edition War Stories merchandise." Read the full announcement here on Instagram
- 4/6 - James Lavelle appears in the new Summer issue of Q Magazine. He recommends three records he's currently listening to: Air - Air (1971), Tom Brock - I Love You More And More (1974), and Young Disciples - Road To Freedom (1991). You can read the issue with Pressreader here (but you may need a library card for free access), or purchase the issue at your local store.
- 1/6 - Tonight the next episode of James Lavelle's Living In My Headphones will air on Soho Radio. Listen here from 18:00 (6pm) London time. Last month Lavelle announced that from June his show would air every two weeks.
- 29/5 - Regular UNKLE contributor Jack Leonard has announced he is no longer working with UNKLE. On Instagram he recently about UNKLE's On My Knees featuring Michael Kiwanuka, from Alfonso Cueron’s Music inspired by the film Roma album. He said "Truly humbled to be involved. Think this was the last thing I did with James so concludes an epic chapter in my life." See the post here.
- 29/5 - UNKLE have announced that the instruments for their album War Stories will be released on June 3rd 2020. Initially teased on Instagram, James Lavelle confirmed on Twitter that it was an instrumental release, though whether it will be digital or physical has not been mentioned. Select editions of War Stories were released with a bonus CD of instrumentals in 2007.
- 25/5 - DJ Shadow has shared several old mixes from his archive on Mixcloud. Some from his Mo' Wax era. Listen here.
- 24/5 - James Lavelle has shared his That's How It Is mix via the We Out Here Festival Mixcloud. Listen here. He also shared the following statement: "That's How It Is' was the club I started in the early '90s with Gilles Peterson which took place every Monday night at Bar Rumba on London's Shaftesbury Avenue, in the heart of Soho. I was 18 at the time, and together with his long term collaborator Janine Neye, and Swifty on visuals, we launched the night. This is part of a series of mixes I've put together representing the time I played at the club, with this first part representing an extended warm up session, where it allowed me to experiment and develop what later became known as trip-hop."
- 24/5 - Yesterday James Lavelle conducted a live tweet along to UNKLE's War Stories album on his Twitter account. You can read back over an archive here.
- James Lavelle on Facebook
- James Lavelle on Spotify
- Mo' Wax Please - Unkle / Mo'Wax Fan Site
- Unkle77 Forum - Unkle / Mo'Wax Fan Forum
About Editing this wiki
Consult the User's Guide for information on using the wiki software. Note: There is a bug in Safari 12 (and possibly some other browsers) which causes users to be logged out constantly. You can get around this by opening a private browsing window (Command+Shift+N). Sorry for the inconvenience.